Holly Days: Sister/ MOH Speech

Holly Days has moved!!!

You should be automatically redirected in three seconds. If not, please visit us at
HTTP://WWW.OURHOLLYDAYS.COM
and update your bookmarks! Also, don't forget to become a follower again!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sister/ MOH Speech

I have scheduled this post to go up around the same time I will be saying these words aloud in front of family & friends. I will be holding my champagne glass high & choking back tears as I gaze at my sister in her white sundress next to her husband. Surrounded by happiness, by laughter, by good booze, by even better food & with so much love surrounding them we will be able to feel it bursting from our hearts.

This will be the toast I make to my little sister. Seester. My bestest friend. My soul sister.


Hey everyone!!! First of all, welcome!!! For those of you who don’t already know, I am Cortney’s big sister, Holly. I know that this isn’t technically a wedding, but we are all gathered here today to celebrate the vows she & Keith made to each other in November 22nd…& I couldn’t let this evening pass without saying a few words in honor of my little sister & my new brother-in-law.

Growing up, Cortney & I couldn’t have been more opposite. She was into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, playing loudly & throwing slime, while I was quietly playing with my Barbies in the corner. She was always running around playing tag in the front yard with the neighborhood kids, while I was reading a Babysitter’s Club book contently inside the house. As we grew up, our interests evolved from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Barbie’s to boyfriends & prom dresses….Cortney always opting for shorter, cocktail party types & me always going for the dramatic, floor length gowns. But one thing we have always held in common was our friendship & love for one another. She was always there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to put me back in line, as I was with her. We have a private sense of humor that only we understand. Laughs that only the other sister could evoke. Eyes that only the other sister could read. Sad. Happy. Glad. Scared. We share souls. She is my best friend & I am gladly hers.

In the past, when Cortney dated someone, I was always the over protective older sister. Then came Keith. While I was still protective, I found myself more comfortable with this new suitor. I was strangely encouraging Cortney to send him texts & helping her come up with excuses to go on base & casually run into him. Don’t ask me why, but part of me sort of knew this man was a good man. That he was a man who could make my sister happy.

And here we are, nearly two & a half years later & I have watched him take over when I can’t. Be there for her in ways that only a life partner can. And like Cortney & I, I have watched as they developed their own private sense of humor. I have watched as he evokes laughs that only a husband can…& she exchanges looks with him that only he understands.

I often worried what would happen between her & I when that happened, but part of how I know Keith is the man for her, is that he knows when to just give up & let Cortney & I laugh at things only we think are funny & cry together over sappy reality TV & spend three hours together at my house to watch the Bachelor finale.

I want to end this toast with a quote from Anna Lewis:

Love, be true to her; Life, be dear to her;
Health, stay close to her; Joy, draw near to her;
Fortune, find what you can do for her,
Search your treasure-house through and through for her,
Follow her footsteps the wide world over--
And keep her husband always her lover

Congrats Cortney & Keith! I love you both dearly! Cheers!


Also, framing the quote as my gift.


Congratulate my sister with a vote? Just takes two clicks!!
Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

5 comments:

  1. Precious! Sisters are the best! We may fight with one another, but in the end we love each other no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!! My sister is talking about getting married and I'm not sure what I'll do when she "grows up..." Beautiful speech!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bawling right now...makes me want to call my little sister & tell her how much I love her. Awesome speech Holly!

    btw, I'm your newest follower!

    Britney @ bestofourlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely speech! Your sister and brother-in-law are really lucky to have you in their corner! :)

    ReplyDelete