Holly Days: Thirty Days of Me Photo Challenge: Day Sixteen

Holly Days has moved!!!

You should be automatically redirected in three seconds. If not, please visit us at
HTTP://WWW.OURHOLLYDAYS.COM
and update your bookmarks! Also, don't forget to become a follower again!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thirty Days of Me Photo Challenge: Day Sixteen



A happy accident. I took this photo of my cousin, Debbie, when trying to keep my camera away from Collin.

Day Sixteen
Post a photo of someone who inspires you. Why does this person specifically inspire you? Can you tell me a story about this person?

I have been blessed in my life to have many people who inspire me. All for different reasons & all in different ways. But if I had to pick one person whom I look to most frequently for inspiration, it would be my couswin (our special name for cousin), Debbie. I admire her & have looked up to her my entire life.

Debbie is usually content to be in the background. She is an observer, like me. I think this is why we both fell in love with photography. We both see small moments & special things that many other people don't take the time to notice. However, I don't think she realized just how much her little cousin, Holly, watched her as they grew up together.

When we were little girls, she was much cooler in my eyes...because, well, older girls were just cooler. She knew all the cool songs (Kokomo...SO. COOL.) & had all the coolest toys (Guess Who...best game everrrrrr). Also, she & her sister, Becky had BUNK. BEDS. Totally cool. Usually, older girls snuffed their noses at us little ones, but Debbie always made time for me. She seemed to actually enjoy playing with a dweeb like me & never hesitated to share. I remember thinking that I wanted to be just like her when I was older...& cooler.

Now that we are both adults, she is still cooler, but in different ways. I am inspired by her constantly. She is an amazing mother to her two children, a dutiful wife to her husband, an amazing photographer & an environmentalist on top of all of it!

Her son, Connor, is one of the most well behaved, intelligent & imaginative children I have ever met (& I'm not just saying this because she is my cousin...seriously) & her daughter, Emma, while only six months, is well on her way to being the same. If I can raise Collin half as well as she is raising Connor & Emma, I'll be satisfied. She inspires me to be a more patient & creative mother.

On top of all of her duties as a mother & wife, she finds time for her creative side. Her photography is breathtaking & she is always improving & learning her craft. She inspires me to learn more about my camera & to take time to be sure I'm using my equipment properly.

She always thinks of others (her environmentalist side) & tries to always put herself in someone else's shoes before assuming anything. She is kind & patient, loving & nurturing. The kind of woman that we all dream our daughters will grow up to be. I'm inspired by her nearly everyday & try to apply her best qualities to my life.

I know it may seem like she is a simple stay at home mother & to many people, there are more inspiring things, but I know that being a stay at home mom is arguably the hardest job in the world & for one to do it as effortlessly as she...well, that alone is inspiring & I still find myself thinking, "When I am her age, I hope I am just like her."

1 comment:

  1. ♫♪
    Aruba, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya
    To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
    Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go
    ♫♪

    This is so sweet! I always felt like the older dweeb that wanted to hang out with her younger way cool cousin, Holly! haaa! How ironic!

    This came at such a good time. On top of nearly burning the house down, my "well behaved, intelligent & imaginative" son is very screamy and rude today. So at least we seem like a well mannered family! =]

    Thank you so much for your kind words! Love ya couswin!

    ReplyDelete